Monday, March 24, 2008

Easter Weekend

Well, this weekend was a busy one . We decided to go to My awesome sisters house for Saturday and join them at their church for the annual Easter egg hunt. Wow..... was there a lot of people there. It was so great to see the kids, we don't get to do that enough. I felt bad having to leave the kids were so disappointed we had to go. But lucky little Bitty won a bike. She was so excited!!!
That was the true test for Boo and the homeopathic medicine we seek for him. Be in a church full of bounce houses and a bazillion people with out slipping into a full blown fit! He did great. He did have to step outside for a minute or two to recoup but over all handled it well. It seems as if Easters have been so special for us, Last Easter was the first time he flew a kite by himself, ran, laughed and had so much fun, even when sponge bob the unruly kite decided to slip his grasp and fly away home, he just waved goodbye! We never would have been able to put him into a situation of that many people before and walked away smiling like we did Saturday. He participate in the egg hunt amongst a whole lot of kids and actually got himself some!! Sure there was a lot of anxiety....for me as well... I was prepared for the worst, finding all the closest exits, and never needed to rush him out of there. I don't know if we will ever lose the Autism Diagnosis but I sure feel so much better about his life now. I do think there will be a day when you can tell someone about his autism and they won't believe us. He has come so far. So many of his little quirks are becoming less and less noticeable. Everything had to be so routine for him and he is allowing himself new opportunities. At 13 he no longer wants a happy meal!!
I don't know how many people read this blog, and even if nobody does, I am going to keep writing it anyway, just in hope that someone, someday who is concerned about their child's health and possibly a diagnosis of autism will read it and know that there are other options. You do not have to medicate you child, you can stand up and take a stand against the norm and treat your child with alternative medicine. God has been great to us, and there was a time when we thought we were getting more than our fair share of hardships. Something good has come from this. I have seen other children and members of my family helped with alternative medicine. I feel that my job now is to spread the word and help others through what can be such a difficult time. After a diagnosis, you mourn. For what you thought your child's life would be like and all the dreams you had for him or her. Then you pick yourself up and do something about it. It doesn't matter what the diagnosis is. Just for the record, I am not anti-vaccine. I do believe that vaccines have saved a lot of lives. I am just for safer vaccines. I don't believe vaccines CAUSED my sons autism, I believe that was the spark. I do believe getting all that junk out of his body will keep bringing him back to us. We have a long way to go and I try not to even look at that anymore. We look at how far we have come and the new things he is always doing and thank God for every new day and every new accomplishment he achieves.

2 comments:

Destini said...

My favorite part of Saturday was watching Boo defend himself against the sassy girls...Slashing their melon with his balloon lite sabre was priceless!!!

It was so great to see him interacting through his nervousness and having a fun time. I look forward to many more fun times!

You have come so far...keep pluggin away!

KrisMrsBBradley said...

I have an 11 year old autistic son, and we, too have tried to avoid medication. Just changing a lot of the food he ate helped quite a bit. He started in a preschool for disabilities at 3 and could not even make a "moo" sound for a cow. He didn't talk in full sentences (even simple ones) until age 5. At 11, he's in a mainstream class for almost the entire day (he has an in class support teacher for science and social studies). He goes to resource room for reading/language arts. This year he's actually made friends of a variety of ages in the neighborhood and has even started riding his bike along with his friends to the local convenience store to buy a snack after school once in a while. It's amazing.

Thanks for sharing your stories. I really enjoyed reading through them!