Tuesday, February 26, 2008

In Loving memory of...........

Spring.....ah what a beautiful word. Especially considering we are approaching record snowfall for the year and it is only February. I wish I could be as excited as our local weather lady. The first snowfall is always exciting and I can't wait to break out the hot cocoa for the kids and build the first snowman. Well it is February and the excitement passed a long time ago. The lost mittens(Approximately 53 pairs) the one missing boot and the "Mom, my coat won't zip" mornings are definitely taking their toll on me. That is why I LOVE SPRING! Spring is a chance to undo some of the wrongs that were made last year. A fresh start. The ambition and effort that goes into my yard and garden every year with such force that I am certain that my yard will be the prettiest on my bumpy dirt road. Only to be reminded in July that it is too stinking hot! Even with the best of intentions my garden always ends up full of weeds and it is more like a where's waldo when you are looking for the tomato plants. The yard has so many weeds that I am not sure how close to the field I should mow because you really can't tell the difference between the two. So this year It will be different. Work smarter, work harder and know that every spring I get another chance.

I have never really had great luck with plants. I make several trips to the greenhouse and pick out the prettiest. I plant them all over the yard.....aww they are so beautiful..Then in about a month when I am standing in the kitchen getting a cold glass of water thinking maybe the plants are thirsty too and by then.....too late.

So I just tell myself well I am just supporting the local business with the purchases and make a mental note next year to water the plants.

My house plants are not much better. When I moved into my new house I had several house plants. They were beautiful. I was certain I was ready for the responsibility of the new life and was so excited. The house was clean, the pool was bug free and the kids were happy and fed and I did so great watering them that they got a little droopy. So I thought okay well let's put them outside to get a little warm air to dry them out.. Well apparently they sunburn. So what is a girl to do? Too much water, not enough water.....the stress. So this year I am going to do artificial plants.....Problem solved. So this post is dedicated to the loving memory of my houseplants...may they rest in peace and I promise to never buy another one again. Amen.

1 comment:

Destini said...

Very well said. I seem to suffer from the same affliction. What do you call the opposite of a green thumb? Here's to spring and to beautiful yards and to the resolution to not buy house plants. My poinsettias from Christmas are still blooming beautifully...did I mention they're fake?? Have a great day sis!